Initial Samba 2.2.4 problems.

Jan-erik Söderholm (QAC) Jan-erik.Soderholm at pac.ericsson.se
Mon Nov 25 12:59:46 GMT 2002

Hi.
Last evening (well, night) I installed the Samba 2.2.4
source package on a DEC 2000 model 300 (EV4/150Mhz "Jensen")
with VMS 7.3, TCPIP 5.1-3, 128 Mb, DECC V6.2-003.

The compile/link went without any errors (but took > 3h).

I'v a Win98 (not SE or ME) client to test with. Nothing but
the server and this PC on the "net" using a simple 4 port
minihub. TELNET, FTP and so on works just fine.

Checked netmap and broadcast address. They are OK.

I can't "browse" the server. It doesn't shows up in the Windows
Explorer Network tree.

Doing "NET VIEW \\server" gives "Error 86: wrong password..."

After adding "log level = 10" to SMB.CONF this command
gives "Error 54: The network is busy..." and the server
is doing a lot of DIRIO. Is this server too slow for "log
level = 10" ?

I'v tried to add my passwork using SMBPASSWD. No chnage.

There must be some easy steps like "How to verify and test your
new SAMBA VMS installation" somewere.

I'm lost...

A question, is Frontport still needed for 2.2.4 ??

Any thoughts or tips ?

Jan-Erik Söderholm.