Cannot get a connection to VAX

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Fri Nov 22 16:12:36 GMT 2002

Hi Hans,

> You are right, i had "hosts allow" defined.
> Now i have removed. Then there is no error message.
> But it does alos not work.
> Please see in my SMB.CONF.
> Is there all right ?

The only thing in your smb.conf that I can see might cause you trouble is
this :

   guest account = nobody

I believe you are required to map this to a VMS username that really does
exist, but please note that I am not a VMS techie - I'm a Unix techie, and
hang out on this list out of interest.   The following advice was posted to
the Samba-VMS list by one of the authors on 25.Oct.2002 :-

=====================< cut >======================
The UCX$NOBODY account or equivalent is only created by UCX or TCPIP
services if you enable the specific services that require it.

I do not know about the third party TCPIP programs.

Samba only needs it for Windows NT or later clients, and that really is
a bug, because it really should be mapping it to an internal account,
the access is not really a guest access.

The default name of the GUEST account is hard coded into the SMBD
executable, but it can also be specified in the SMB.CONF file.

For SAMBA 2.0.6, I chose the name of SAMBA__GUEST (with two
underscores).  The installation procedure creates it if it is missing.

Martin Vorlaender is right that you can designate what ever account that
you want as the guest account.  The only requirements are that it needs
to have write access to it's own home directory and also to the
SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR] directory.

Because the UCX$NOBODY account is really for a different purpose, I do
not recommend using it for the SAMBA guest account.

This is discussed in the SAMBA for OpenVMS FAQ that is located with the
SAMBA 2.0.6 distribution.  The SAMBA 2.0.6 distribution is on the
OpenVMS freeware 5.0 CD-ROM set.  This CD-ROM set is on the web at a
link from http://www.openvms.compaq.com and other archive collections.

An update to this FAQ has been posted to comp.os.vms and to
Encompasserve.org.

A search of the VMS conference at http://encompasserve.org should easily
find it, or http://www.google.com should find the posting on comp.os.vms
from about January of this year.
=====================< cut >======================

If I'm wrong, and the "guest account" setting is fine, you should try asking
the list again.

Please also note that neither I nor anybody else is likely to be able to
figure out your problem unless you can supply more information -
specifically some description of (a) what you were trying to do, (b) what
actually happened, (c) the content of your Samba logfiles from around the
failure time.   You should mention what kind of client you were trying to
contact your Samba-VMS server from.

Good luck.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK