Cannot get a connection to VAX

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Fri Nov 22 12:18:37 GMT 2002

PS: Please *please* PLEASE do *not* send HTML format email to the Samba-VMS
mailing list (or any other technical mailing list for that matter).

Some reasons:

1)  HTML-format email occupies 3 or 4 times the space that the equivalent
plain-text would do.
2)  HTML-format email can be used to deliver malicious attacks to
unsuspecting victims, especially those using the Microsoft Outlook
mailreader; it therefore alarms many technical people, and it's discourteous
to them to do so.
3)  Many subscribers to Unix and VMS mailing lists use mailreaders which
(deliberately) do not handle HTML - your posting will appear as
unintelligible nonsense to such mailreaders.  These subscribers (who include
the primary authors of Samba-VMS) will often just delete your message
without reading it, because they're busy people and just don't have the time
to try to decipher your HTML email.

You'll probably get a better response to your technical questions if you
post them in plain-text.

Nick Boyce
EDS Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK