Samba 2.0.3 on OpenVMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Nov 2 17:54:13 GMT 2002

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. RE: Samba 2.0.3 on OpenVMS (Dr. Guilherme Regis)

> "Dr. Guilherme Regis" wrote:
> Dear Samba 2.0.3 experts,
>
> I guess my problem with Samba 2.0.3 on VAX OpenVMS
> rely on NETMASK and BCAST definitions.
> Entries in Multinet program seem to be correct, that is,
> Sub Net Mask = 255.255.255.0 e gateway = 10.87.16.1
> But, when I map my Linux machine from VAX and vice-versa I get
> the following results:
>
> On VAX: (encryption = no)
> BSUHEP::SYSTEM> smbclient "-L" nostromo.physics
> Added interface ip=10.87.16.252 bcast=10.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
> Password: Domain=[BSUHEP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.10]
>
> On Linux: (encryption = yes)
> [lgemedia at nostromo lgemedia]$ smbclient -L vaxstation
> added interface ip=10.87.16.254 bcast=10.87.16.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Got a positive name query response from 10.87.16.252 ( 10.87.16.252 )
> Password:
> *** Nothing happens then, even having GUEST account correctly defined
> on VAX.
>
> Both machines should have the same NMASK because they are in the
> same network segment. As I have no problem in connecting to my VAX, it
> seems that all MULTINET parameters are correctly defined.
>
> Now, searching on GOOGLE I found a message saying that NMASK definition
> in Samba 2.0.3 VAX is broken. Is that right ?
> I appreciate any comments on this subject.

I do not know specifically about 2.0.3.

If you do not provide the NMASK in the SMB.CONF file, SAMBA attempts to
get it from the ethernet interface through the socket library.

This requires that the underlying TCPIP program to support this call.

I would not put in the NMASK parameter in the SMB.CONF file unless the
TCP/IP program does not support returning it.  You can check your
documentation, or just use trial and error.

I did find in NMBD 2.0.6 that under certain conditions, the NMBD program
will terminate with an access violation, since one of the socket calls
returns either a positive count or a negative number, and NMBD does not
test it before using it.   This was fixed in the SAMBA 2.0.6 vms
release, but not fixed in the UNIX base until the 2.2.x stream.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network