Cannot Copy Files FROM ALPHA (2.0.6)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat May 25 21:46:55 GMT 2002

"Naveed Ahmed" <Greatman at Softhome.network>

>>>[Has Set higher debug level to find possible cause of not copying files]
>>

> When I use SMBCLIENT and use get command to get files following errors are
> reported in smb.log file
> [2002/05/24 15:37:50, 0]
> CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.LOCKING]LOCKING_SLOW_VMS.C;
> 1:(198)
> ERROR lock_share_entry: fcntl_lock on file
> /samba_root/var/locks/SHARE.3814264.989510 failed with bad file number
>
> CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.LOCKING]LOCKING_SLOW_VMS.C;1:(511)
>   ERROR: get_share_modes: Failed to read share file
> /samba_root/var/locks/SHARE.3814264.989510

SAMBA-VMS is implemented with the locking slow module.  As such it
shares it weaknesses with the UNIX variant.

Occasionally when the SMBD process aborts because of a bad network
connection, locking files are left behind.  And something fails in the
cleanup that newer SMBD processes are supposed to do.

This has been reported in the older SAMBA on UNIX streams, but because
the slow locking module is not used on many platforms, only a few
platforms are affected.

When this occurs, delete all the files SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR.LOCKS]SHARE.*;*
to fix.

The long term fix would be to write an OpenVMS specific FAST locking
module using SYS$ENQW system services.

 > And when I try to copy files from Win98, besides above errors
 > following error also occur Can't open /samba_root/var/locks/browse.dat
 > - permission denied

I do not recall seeing that condition.

SAMBA typically gives permission denied for all file access errors,
regardless of the true cause.

What debug level are you running?

Debug levels between 4 and 8 are generally needed to diagnose file
system problems.  Higher leves are needed for debugging protocol issues.

-John
wb8twy at qsl.network