Maybe a VMS thing

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed May 15 03:07:29 GMT 2002

 > From: Peter Meehan <PeterM at georgejames.company>
 >
 > Hello,
 >
 > I installed samba 2.0.3 on vms 7.1 on an alpha.  The primary purpose
 > was to be able to backup the vms machine via out normal NT sever using
 > arcserveit software.

It is likely that much of your files will not be usable on OpenVMS on
the restore.

You may want to look up the SAMBA-VMS FAQ [Please paste the URL together]

http://eisner.encompasserve.org/htbin/
dnqindexform?TEXT=R30328472-30368736-dra4%3A%5Bdecuserve_extracts%5Dvms.full%3B368

 > Everything works fine except for about .1% of the files where I am
 > getting an access denied error.  The files that are not copied are
 > not in use and have the same protections and owner UIC as files that
 > do work.

A higher logging level may shed more light on the issue.  Access denied
seems to be one of the general file copy failure signals on the Windows
side and could have many meanings.

Please review the section in the FAQ on using SAMBA to backup files from
OpenVMS to a CD-ROM.

Short answer: It does not work well.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network