access denied" and "you do not have permission to open this file

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri May 10 19:58:47 GMT 2002

"Baxter, Bob" <bbaxter at denvernewspaperagency.company> wrote:
> Date: Wed, 8 May 2002 10:59:29 -0600
>
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to get SAMBA 2.0.6 working on OpenVMS 7.2-1.
>
> My problem is I get "access denied" and "you do not have permission to open
> this file" whenever I try to use SAMBA to access an EXISTING VMS file from
> NT workstation.   I can create a NEW file with SAMBA.  I can also access and
> update the file without problems, but after I disconnect and reconnect the
> share I cannot access the file any more.  I get the same messages. The
> userid exists on VMS, my NT workstation and the NT pdc. The VMS user is the
> owner of the file.  I do not have a specific share set up for this user so I
> think I should be using the [homes] entry in smb.conc.
>
> I did try looking on google for this problem.  If someone else posted
> something similar, I missed it.

A similar question was posted about a month or so ago here.

>   My security setup in smb.conf is:
>
>    encrypt passwords = Yes
>     security = server
>   password server = xxxxx (name of our pdc)

I did not test that feature, and I do not even know if it works in the
UNIX 2.0.6 version of SAMBA.

Running the SMBD process with a higher debug level may give you a clue
as to what the problem is.

> My smb.conf [homes] config is as follows:
>
> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = no
>    read only = no
>    create mode = 0750
>    fstype = ODS2
>
> I also noticed some errors in smb.log:
>
> [2002/05/08 10:39:25, 0] CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.SMBD]NTTRANS.C;2:(2401)
>   call_nt_transact_ioctl: Currently not implemented.
> [2002/05/08 10:39:27, 0]
> CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.LOCKING]LOCKING_SLOW_VMS.C;1:(198)
>   ERROR lock_share_entry: fcntl_lock on file
> SAMBA_ROOT/VAR/LOCKS/SHARE.3814264.463046 failed with bad file number
> [2002/05/08 10:39:27, 0]
> CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.LOCKING]LOCKING_SLOW_VMS.C;1:(198)
>   ERROR lock_share_entry: fcntl_lock on file
> SAMBA_ROOT/VAR/LOCKS/SHARE.3814264.463046 failed with bad file number
> [2002/05/08 10:39:27, 0]
> CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.LOCKING]LOCKING_SLOW_VMS.C;1:(511)
>   ERROR: get_share_modes: Failed to read share file
> SAMBA_ROOT/VAR/LOCKS/SHARE.3814264.463046
> [2002/05/08 10:39:27, 0]
> CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.LOCKING]LOCKING_SLOW_VMS.C;1:(1014)
>   ERROR: set_share_mode: share file
> SAMBA_ROOT/VAR/LOCKS/SHARE.3814264.463046 has incorrect locking version (was
> 1936287860, should
> be 4).
>
> Any Thoughts??

The slow locking modules is not heavily used with the mainstream SAMBA,
and apparently it has bugs also in the UNIX version also.

One of the problems is that when the SMBD process aborts, garbage is
left in the locking directory that messes up further access.

The problem with SAMBA on OpenVMS at this time is that these problems
may require running SAMBA in debug for them to be reproduced.  I hope to
be able to start doing some of this by this summer.

However, if SAMBA on OpenVMS is to be viable, it will take a team of
people that can run it in debug and isolate problems.  Even if you are
not coders, if you are willing to build SAMBA in debug mode and step
through it, that will be extremely useful.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network