Samba 2.0.3 - Bad Password/Username

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Fri May 10 19:16:01 GMT 2002

John Bennett <john.bennett at walker.co.unitedkingdom> wrote:

>I've decided to simplify my question to start with in the hope of a
>response that will enable me to make some further progress with my Samba
>installation...
>
>I have just installed the binary for 2.0.3 on my Alpha box running VMS
>7.2.  Running through the tests in the DIAGNOSIS.TXT, all local tests
>(i.e. those run from the Alpha) work fine but only if I use SYSTEM as the
>username ("-U" parameter) and the correct password for this account.  My
>own account on the machine has all privs. the same as the system account,
>but responds "Bad Password" etc., the same as any other account I try and
>use.

I am not directly familiar with 2.0.3, but based on my tests with 2.0.6,
  the account used for accessing the shares must have write access to
SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR] and their login directory.

>Access from a pc on the network seems to be suffering the same problem but
>I think it's pointless addressing this until the above one is sorted.

You may want to look up the SAMBA-VMS FAQ [Please paste the URL together]

http://eisner.encompasserve.org/htbin/
dnqindexform?TEXT=R30328472-30368736-dra4%3A%5Bdecuserve_extracts%5Dvms.full%3B368

>Can anyone help with what may be causing this - in addition to the hints
>given in the DIAGNOSIS.TXT file, all of which I have checked and are ok.
>
>>Many thanks to anyone shedding light on this.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network