Performance issues

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Mar 16 15:43:12 GMT 2002

"Tim Oakley" <toakley at mailhost.maury-imprimeur.france> wrote:

> This is a multi-part message in MIME format

Mime messages give the digest form of this list indigestion.  It also
significantly delays any response that I might send.

Please also try to turn off "quoted printable".  Unfortunately some
E-mail clients do not have that option.  I have not found it for Mozilla
yet.

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C75C.FEDE8880
>
> I am using VMS SAMBA v2.0.3 to replace NFS services to PC users. In the
> tests that i have done so far i see some important performance problems
> when the PC is accessing data via SAMBA services, the access times are
> significantly slower than via the original NFS accesses.

The PC client is causing the server to do significantly more work when
using SMB protocol.

> Are there some tuning tips that i could follow in order to improve the
> access times ?

The SAMBA for OpenVMS Frequently Asked Questions were posted recently on
this list and on comp.os.vms.  A search of http://www.GOOGLE.com with
SAMBA and comp.os.vms should turn them up.

> Is SAMBA v2.0.6 'faster'.

I do not know.  I have never run 2.0.3, and I do not know if anyone has
done a comprehensive benchmark comparing them.

SAMBA v2.0.6 has oplocks implemented and active, and the current
algorithm will definitely slow things down.  But oplocks can be turned off.

Other than that, there is really not that much different inside the two
revisions that should have a major effect in the speed.

The tunning tips in the FAQ that was posted should work with most
versions of SAMBA for OpenVMS.

There has been no feedback posted as to anyone getting improvement from
following them.

There also can be a lot of factors such as what options are enabled on
the smb.conf file, how well the OpenVMS system is tuned, and the general
health of the network.

Currently SAMBA for OpenVMS is significantly slower than the Compaq
Advanced Server (formerly known as Pathworks) product.  And I do not see
that changing any time soon.

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C75C.FEDE8880

[Large hex dump of unknown format deleted.  The title indicates that it
is possibly some Microsoft Mail format that is being sent as an attachment.]

Please do not reply with the original message as an attachment.  Please
do not reply with the entire digest quoted either.

Attachments do not make it through the digest mode of this mailing list.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network