Samba/VMS versions

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Jul 24 03:24:43 GMT 2002

Message: 3
> From: Tim Oakley <toakley at mailhost.maury-imprimeur.france>  wrote:
>
> I'm currently running 2.0.3 which works fine for me but is slowww.

Please see the SAMBA-VMS faq about improving the performance of SAMBA.
The information is mostly relevant to all OpenVMS versions.

> I was intending to go to 2.0.6 in the near future but read in a
 > recent posting that 2.0.6 (all platforms) has trouble with clients
 > later that NT4 & W98. The same posting talked of v2.2.4 for VMS
 > being available.

It is version 2.0.6 and earlier that has the problems.  There was a
change in the protocol.  The problem is intermittant, and some people
are affected, and some are not.  The 2.0.7 / 2.0.10 patches look trivial
to apply, however I do not yet have enough of my home network functional
enough to test it.

2.2.x may be needed for ME/MX variants.

> Please can someone make a definite statement as regards current versions
> and what version i should 'go to' next.

I do not know anything about V2.2.4.

With SAMBA, as with all open source, you need to make your own tests and
evaluations.  That is about as definitive as you can get.

I was not aware of any one doing work on V2.2.4 until it was announced
on comp.os.vms, and there has been no discussions about how complete of
an implementation it is, or what design trade offs were made.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network