Problem connecting to samba-2.0.3/vms (TCPWARE)

georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.com georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.com
Wed Jul 3 16:52:30 GMT 2002

>> georges.bert at Lafarge-Ciments.Lafarge.company wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have successfully installed SAMBA-2.0.3 on a VAX running VMS-6.2
>> and TCPWARE-5.4-3 (this VAX's name is CLFTS2).
>>
>> I installed the same SAMBA-2.0.3 on another VAX (name = CLF10U) ...
>> but now I'm not able to get the smbd working correctly on this new
>> VAX.

>>  [2002/06/26 13:38:55, 0] DSA1:[KITS.SAMBA-2_0_3.SOURCE.SMBD]OPLOCK.C;1:(79)
>>     open_oplock_ipc: Failed to get local UDP socket for address 100007f. Error was
>>    can't assign requested address
>>   [2002/06/26 13:38:57, 0] DSA1:[KITS.SAMBA-2_0_3.SOURCE.SMBD]OPLOCK.C;1:(79)
>>     open_oplock_ipc: Failed to get local UDP socket for address 100007f. Error was
>>    can't assign requested address

> I am afraid that I can not be of much help, but here are some comments:
>
> I think you may need to ask someone familiar with TCPware to assist you
> with some of the debugging.
>
> Also I have never used Samba 2.0.3., but I think that oplock support may
> not be working in it.
>
> There may be an option in smb.conf to turn it off, so that SMBD does not
> try to create the oplock break socket.
>
> You would need to look at the source to determine what port it is trying
> to bind the oplock port to, and then use the TCPware utilities to see if
> something else already has the port.
>
> Be aware that Pathworks 6.x is available for OpenVMS VAX, and
> interoperates much better with Windows NT domains than any known version
> of Samba for OpenVMS does.

It's ok, but we a have a problem with Pathworks/DECnet that seems not to
work on Windows2000 (at least after our experiments).

> There is an FAQ for Samba VMS that can be looked up at
> http://encompasserve.org or http://www.google.com
> -John

I've finally found the solution :

In fact the problem was simply that the loopback device (LPB-0 127.0.0.1) was not
declared in the TCPWARE database. For those who may encounter the same problem, the
script tcpware:CNFNET_MENU.COM allow to reconfigure TCPWARE.

Thanks,            Georges

"This e-mail is confidential and may contain legally privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, distribute,
disclose or use the information it contains.  Please e-mail the sender immediately and delete this message from your system.  E-mails are susceptible
to corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment; we do not accept liability for any such changes, or for their consequences. You should be
aware, that the company  may monitor your emails and their content"