slow Samba

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Jan 17 02:45:11 GMT 2002

From: Jan-erik_Soderholm_= <Jan-erik.Soderholm#pac.ericsson.se>

 >Changed the DELAY_ACK to "disabled". It had no effect.
 >My "SMB_<client>" process was running at or near 100%
 >before the change, so I realy didn't expect a change.
 >
 >B.t.w, this is a DEC 2000 model 300 (EV4, 150Mhz) system.
 >
 >Jan-Erik.

I did most of my developement work on a Multia.  166 Mhz system.

You might want to try disabling oplocks, and see if that has any affect.

Also if you have files with a lot of directories in them, and you have
an explorer window open, SAMBA's algorithm for reading the files back
out is very inefficient, and especially so on OpenVMS.

With oplocks enabled, it has to take out a lock on every file that
Windows Explorer suspects may contain an Icon.

It also runs through the DOS-NAME -> CODEPAGE -> UNIX-NAME -> VMS-NAME
path and back several times for each file that it needs to access.

All in all, that should not be visible during a file transfer, just in
the enumeration of the files in a folder.

It might be useful to look to make sure that you have sufficient working
set extent allocated, and sufficient memory on the system.  A virtual
memory bottle neck or tuning problem can often show up as a CPU busy
condition.

One thing that I never got around to doing was to run SAMBA-VMS under
the PCA to see where the hot spots are.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network