Problems installing on an Alpha system

Martin Vorlaender mv at PDV-SYSTEME.de
Thu Feb 7 10:23:51 GMT 2002

Peter Meehan wrote:
> I am a complete beginner with Samba and do not have a lot of VMS
> experience, I guess my problems are prob with VMS rather than Samba.
> I have an Alpha 1000 running open VMS 7.1,  I downloaded the binary
> version of Samba 2.0.3 (Alpha version samba-2_0_3-vms0-bin_alpha)
> onto a PC (Windows NT4) from a samba mirror site ,  I extracted the
> zipped files on the PC and transferred them to the Alpha by FTP
> (WS FTP PRO) using auto detect for the binary/text option.

That's exactly the wrong order. Transfer the ZIP file to VMS and
unzip it there. UNZIP.EXE for VMS can be found e.g. at
ftp://ftp.process.com/vms-freeware/unzip.alpha_exe

There's more file formats on VMS that PC can dream of...

cu,
  Martin
--
So long, and thanks        | Martin Vorlaender  |  VMS & WNT programmer
for all the books...       | work: mv at pdv-systeme.de
In Memoriam Douglas Adams  |   http://www.pdv-systeme.de/users/martinv/
            1952-2001      | home: martin at radiogaga.harz.de