Problems installing on an Alpha system

Peter Meehan PeterM at georgejames.com
Thu Feb 7 09:59:09 GMT 2002

Hi,

I am a complete beginner with Samba and do not have a lot of VMS experience,
I guess my problems are prob with VMS rather than Samba.

I have an Alpha 1000 running open VMS 7.1,  I downloaded the binary version
of Samba 2.0.3 (Alpha version samba-2_0_3-vms0-bin_alpha) onto a PC (Windows
NT4) from a samba mirror site ,  I extracted the zipped files on the PC and
transferred them to the Alpha by FTP (WS FTP PRO) using auto detect for the
binary/text option.

I also downloaded the cnlt file (samba_crtl-021-bin_alpha) dated the 15th
November 1999 into the same directory and did @LINK as instructed in the
readme.vms file.

I got this error

%RMS-W-RTB, 512 byte record too large for user's buffer

Do I have to make some changes to the VMS set up or has something gone wrong
in the download ftp process?  All help appreciated

Regards
Peter

George James Software
42-44 High Street