Upgrading OpenVMS.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Dec 28 17:52:53 GMT 2002

"Andreas Fassl"  wrote:

> Hi Kenneth,
>
> interesting, hp couldn't solve.
>
> I would try to enter this problem in the "ask the wizard" at
> http://www.openvms.compaq.com. (Even he will probably point to
> service, but he is very close to engineering).

Ask the Wizard typically has about a 1 month delay from the time a
question is put in until an answer is posted.  I would not use it for
anything urgent.  Especially when something will likely require
consultation with support.

> Next place to address, post your problem in comp.os.vms.
 > (Have you got access to newsgroups?).

Comp.os.vms is gated though the info-vax mailing list.  Details for
subscribing to the mailing list are available in the OpenVMS FAQ.

If the wizard notices that the same poster has posted in comp.os.vms and
in the ask the wizard web page, the ask the wizard posting is cancelled.

> Third: Have you installed the last firmware upgrade (just a shot in
> the dark) and did some research at the HP Services Software Patches?
> Looks like
> http://ftp1.support.compaq.com/public/vms/axp/v7.2-2/dec-axpvms-vms722_dcl-v0100--4.README
>  can help you solve the problem. Additionally I'll recommend to apply
>  all other available patches.

> Regards from germany, a happy New year
>
> Andreas Fassl
>
> kenl at genyc.com schrieb:

[Please do not post the entire previous message when top posting.  It
just makes the list archives and digest modes harder to read.

>> I appologize for putting this question out on this forum, I am
>> running out of places to go.  Maybe, just maybe someone out there
 >> may have some input on this.
>>
>> I am trying to upgrade a Alpha Workstation 433au from 7.2.2 of
>> OpenVMS to 7.3-1
>> of OpenVMS.
>>
>> Each attempt has failed to upgrade and changing the PQL_ parameters
>>

> does not
>> seem to help.
>>
>> I get to about 40% of the upgrade and I get this message
>>
>> ...40% complete.
>>
>> %PCSI-I-PRCOUTPUT, output from subprocess follows...
>> %SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=00, virtual
>> address=000000004B5C2342, PC=0000000033DE4,PS=0000001B
>>
>> %PCSI-E-MODREPLERR, error replacing module ANALYZE in library
>> DISK$AXPVMSSYS:[VMS$COMMON.][SYSLIB]DCLTABLES.EXE
>>
>> -SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=!XB,
>> virtualaddress=!XH PC=!XH,
>> PS=!XL %PCSI-E-OPENFAILED, operation failed.
>>
>> Interesting, I get the same message when I try a clean install.

To the same disk or a different disk?

By clean install, are you initing the disk first?

>> I increased the PQL_MPGFLQUOTA, PQL_MENQLM, PQL_MBYTLM  and all
>> they did was eliminate insufficient virtually memory.

You did not mention insuficient virtual memory in any of the error messages.

If the CD-ROM boots, it means that you have all of OpenVMS.

The ACCVIO is clearly a bug in the PCSI installation utility that needs
to be fixed, but is not likely the root cause of your problem.

I would suspect that either there is a paroblem with the DCLTABLES.EXE
on your destination disk if you are using the [PRESERVE] option.

If you are initializing the disk before each run, then I would suspect
that you have some sort of hardware failure that the installation
procedure is not properly diagnosing.

>> If anyone has some insight on this, that would be appreciated.
>> Also, I did log a call with Digital/HP and no luck resolving this.
 >> This is making for a long holiday season.

Keep track of your call with HP as system down calls should get a priority.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network