Time to add blocking to the mailing list?

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Dec 20 01:59:40 GMT 2002

  "B. Z. Lederman" wrote:

> I assume others have also seen the junk from 888 at 21cn.com and similar
> addresses advertising something from http://www.szbookshop.com
> (though I'm not sure what, since it's in 8 bit characters).

[snip]

> If the administrator of this mailing list can't get any response from
> them, or the system where the URL is, I propose that it's now time to
> block the source from submitting mail to to the mailing list.  It
> appears to be the only way to deal with these people.

There was a discussion with the administrators of this and the other
Samba lists on the RSYNC list about spam.

Essentially the list is being processed through a bogofilter like spam
filter.  This filter learns by profiling what it is told is spam.

So when spam gets through, the list administrator feeds it into the
filter, and it gets smarter.

The list administrators are tending to block I.P. ranges as a last
resort to avoid blocking legitimate posters.

I do not know what the spam to e-mail ratio is for the samba.org lists,
but other postmasters are stating that they are almost seeing a 2 to 1
ratio.  So keeping that in mind, the administrators of this list are
doing a good job at keeping the spam load down.

Information on how to reach the list administrators is either in the
text or the headers of each message from the mailing list.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network