DECC Runtime Library, SAMBA 2.2.4 on OpenVMS 6.2

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Dec 12 04:20:30 GMT 2002

> jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.france wrote:
>
>> Is Frontport required for SAMBA 2.2.4?
 > No.

That confirms my suspicions.

> To compile frontport in previous versions ... I don't know too much
> about the Frontport library.

It is a porting library, containing the wrapper routines for building
SAMBA 2.0.6 using almost completely unmodified UNIX source.  Most of the
modifications in SAMBA 2.0.6 were bug fixes that were not OpenVMS specific.

Features unique to Frontport that are not in the other porting libraries
  are:

It implements fcntl() using RMS locking, so that programs using it will
honor RMS locks in other programs, and other programs will honor locks
on it.

It implements the crypt() function that returns an OpenVMS password
Hash, when used with the getpwnam() call.

The SETUID() code is automatically linked when the image is installed if
  needed.  It is also not required for non-privileged images.

If you have not read my porting notes for Samba 2.0.6 and for FRONTPORT,
I would recommend it.

Both can be found on the OpenVMS Freeware 5.0 CD-ROM.  An image of the
CD-ROM set is available from a link at http://www.openvms.com.

> However, the sys$share:decc*.olb and .exe are part of VMS, and
> installed with the system, not with the DECC compiler

decc*.olb is installed with the compiler.  It is redistributable with an
application provided the conditions in SYS$LIBRARY:DECC$CRTL.README.

> Is it possible to link SAMBA 2.2.4 on previous version of OpenVMS
> with new DECC RTL?
> Sure, why not?

It may not work because of image ident mismatches.

The FRONTPORT library was intended to be able to work as far back as
OpenVMS 5.5-2, however it is restricted to 7.0 and later.

It's purpose was to be used with more applications than just SAMBA.

I am almost to the point where I can start doing work again, and I have
a number of fixes lined up for Frontport.  One of the things that I want
to implement is a compliance test suite for it's various features.

Carl Perkins has sent me code that looks like it will solve the OLE
locking problems, and possibly a few other special cases.

I have also now learned how to get the locking to work with out changing
the file modification dates.

I expect to be testing it initially against the 2.0.x stream of SAMBA so
that I can fix some of the problems that I have learned about in the
2.0.6 version.

I have no timetable for this though, at my new job, I am spending about
an hour a day commuting that I used to spend coding.

My personal development platforms have been upgraded both in CPU power
and in storage capacity, so I may be able to track multiple streams.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network