Samba ods-5 problems

jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr jean-yves.collot at cofiroute.fr
Mon Dec 9 15:35:34 GMT 2002

Hi.

As far as ODS-5 is concerned, I never did actual testing about it, because
it needs at least the VMS 7.3 version of the DECC library in order to start
to work correctly, and I had no time yet to install it.

The reason you can't create files or directories is that because the volume
is ODS-5, Samba does not use its algorithm for encoding file names
containing invalid characters, such as blanks, so it tries to create, for
example, "New File.txt"
However, because the DECC library does not support ODS-5, you can't create
such a file, because it contains invalid characters. Funny, isn't it ?

If you don't have the correct DECC run-time library, a turn-around is to
force SAMBA to encode the file names even on ODS-5 volumes. You can do that
by adding the following line in the SMBD_STARTUP.COM procedure :
$ DEFINE SAMBA_FILESPEC_ENCODE ALWAYS

If you have a correct version of the DECC run-time library, you must add
some DECC logical names in the SMBD_STARTUP.COM command procedure, in order
to enable the ODS-5 support by DECC. I don't remember them, so please refer
to the DECC user's guide. As I said, I never had the opportunity of testing
it, so I can't guarantee it works.