Performance problem (2.2.4)

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Dec 5 01:28:25 GMT 2002

"Michael D. Ober" wrote:

> I have been working with this issue now for a while and it appears
> that the problem isn't the directory listing itself, but the file
> size calculation that takes forever.  Any ideas on how to speed this
> up.

The culprit is the call to stat() is expensive on OpenVMS and is
required to do this and several other operations in the directory listing.

It gets worse when the filenames need to be translated to OpenVMS ODS-2
encoding.

With the 3.0 branch, the host filesystem can be virtualized, and this
may allow further optimizations.

Potential solutions mostly involve recoding SAMBA to reduce the number
of times that it calls stat().

This also affect UNIX but not to the degree that it hurts OpenVMS.

But the true fix may require significant optimizations to the UNIX code
base.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network