Initial Samba 2.2.4 problems.

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.network
Mon Dec 2 12:35:02 GMT 2002

Jan-erik_Soderholm wrote:

> Hi again. Well, now I think I'm running out of ideas. Does *anyone*
> has a Win98 client connecting succesfully to a Samba 2.2.4 server ?
> On a DEC AXP 2000 model 300 ?

No experience with 2.2.4 other than downloading the kits.

> What did you had to do after the compile/link/install phases ?
>
> Is there anything in the SMB.CONF that is mandatory on VMS ? The
> things I'v changed are :
>
> - Added/changed the "workgroup" and "netbios name" entries.
> - Corrected the "printcap name" entry.
> - Changed "null passwords" to "yes".
 > - Added "dns proxy = no"
 > - Checked that the guest account ("samba__guest") exists and has
 >   a writeable home directory.

The SAMBA_GUEST account must have write access to SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR] for
the versions that I have used.

Microsoft Windows 95 does not require an active "SAMBA__GUEST" account.
  I do not know if Windows 98 does either.

 From discussions on the SAMBA-TECHNICAL list, it turns out that the
"guest" account is not really a guest account, but a non-privileged user
account used for various operations.  It is called a guest account
because apparently that is the name that Microsoft has given to that
account.

 > - I have not touched the [homes] or [printers] sections.
 > - Added a [dist] and a [tmp] share.
>
> When I do "NET VIEW \\my_server, I can see that the SMBD process
> working 5-10 sec, then I get some error on the client, such as
> "network service unavailable" or something similar.

This sounds a bit like the /flag=listen may be missing from the SMBD
service.

> A few notes, Is the password the client send to the server case
> sensitive ? My PC user is "Janne", but the user in SMBPASSWD.DAT is
> (when using DUMP) "janne" in all lowercase. Is this of any importance
> ?

When I last looked at the Samba code, it appeared to try various case
combinations.  It did not try all case combinations.  I do not think
that this is your problem, but this should show up in the
samba_root:[var] log files.  Try increasing the logging level for SMBD.

> Anything special that must be loaded in network part of the client ?
> I'v tried to add NetBEUI, but saw no change.

Samba does not support NetBEUI.

> There must be something fundamentional wrong here !
>
> This is my SMB.CONF file, I have deleted all commented lines :
[MOZILLA mangled this, and I do not have time to decode it right now.]

> There must be some easy steps like "How to verify and test your new
> SAMBA VMS installation" somewere.

The DIAGNOSE.TXT file (available on the http://www.samba.org mirror
under documentation) gives a lot of pointers.

> I'm lost...
>
> A question, is Frontport still needed for 2.2.4 ??

I am seeing no evidence of this, but I have not looked in detail.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only