Samba WINS server killing NMBD process

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Aug 7 02:14:28 GMT 2002

> Message: 1
> From: COLLOT Jean-Yves <Jean-Yves.COLLOT#cofiroute.fr>
> To: "'samba-vms at lists.samba.org'" <samba-vms at lists.samba.org>

That was generated by your e-mail program because it knew that it was
sending e-mail in a format that can not be relied on to be readable by
all e-mail clients.

Please set your e-mail client to only send plain text to mailing lists
and newsgroups.

> ------_=_NextPart_001_01C23C63.D48DD910
>

> I have the feeling that NMBD exits at the end of the "wins_write_database"
> routine, because it thinks that it is currently running as a child process
> of a fork() call, whivh is not true under VMS.

I did not see any fork() calls in the 2.0.6 version of SAMBA, but it
definitely is present in the 2.2.x release.  Of course I may have missed
something.

> May be you could check :
>
> 1. that you have a WINS.DAT file in your SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR.LOCKS] directory,
> and that the modification date of this file is the same as your last try of
> running NMBD with WINS enabled, (if I am right, this is the last NMBD action
> before exiting)
> 2. If this is true, try to modify the NMBD_WINSSERVER.C file (in the [.NMBD]
> subdirectory of the SOURCE tree), by changing the line :
> 	wins_write_database(True);
> with:
> 	wins_write_database(False);
>
> Then, recompile and relink NMBD.

If this is the case, it may simply be a case of changing an option in
SMB.CONF.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only