Problems with share accesses. (2.0.6)

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Fri Apr 26 17:57:49 GMT 2002

 > From: "Mike Liebbe" <Mike.Liebbe at trw.company>
 >
 > Samba v2.0.6 is installed, but obviously not configured properly on an
 > old DEC Alpha Model 3100 running VMS 7.3 and TCPIP 5.0 The node name
 > is WOODSTOCK.  It is being used as a development/ evaluation box for
 > SAMBA at this time.  [eventually SAMBA would replace our Pathworks
 > servers.]

 > The system shows up in NT's server manager as being active [the icon
 > is lit] but any action from the File menu results in "network path
 > not found"
 >
 > I used smbclient.exe_axp to get the node to join the domain and it
 > reported, as well as appears, to have been successful.

As has been recently reported, domain mode was not tested with this
version on OpenVMS.  I am not sure that it works with the UNIX Samba 2.0.6.

I would try getting the SAMBA server to work as a standalone server
first to make sure that everything is working, and then attempt to add
it to a domain.

SAMBA 2.0.6 for OpenVMS should be feature and bug compatable with the
UNIX 2.0.6 release.  But there are many code paths to excersize, and the
automatic test programs will not easily port to OpenVMS.

To diagnose why it does not work, may involved comparing the log that is
produced with the log from a UNIX version of SAMBA.

I do not have a working environment where I can actively debug SAMBA or
reproduce problems at this time.

Samba is a complex enough product that several builders and testers are
needed in order to test and debug it.  Currently I have seen no reports
that anyone is working on it.

Be aware that all versions of SAMBA for OpenVMS will run slower than the
current version of Advanced Server / Pathworks.

Also most of the Domain Membership stuff in SAMBA is in the experimental
3.0 version for UNIX, and is not at the level that Domain Membership is
with Pathworks 6.x and Advanced Server 7.x.  With 6.x and later, you can
use OpenVMS DCL to do many management functions on a Windows NT domain.

If your experience with Pathworks is from 5.x, I would encourage you to
test a more current version.  The licensing has been totally changed so
that for many sites, less licenses are needed.

Pathworks 6.x / 7.x also implements domain trusts, and setting up an
OpenVMS server as a resource domain that trusts an NT server will
insulate you from various compatability problems with Microsoft.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network