samba-vms digest, Vol 1 #224 - 9 msgs

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Fri Apr 26 17:31:17 GMT 2002

> From: "Boyce, Nick" <nick.boyce at eds.company>
>
> [disclaimer: I just lurk here - I'm a Unix Samba admin, not a VMS one]
>
> Tim Oakley asked :
>
>>I'm running Samba for VMS v2.0.3.
>>
>>Everything works fine but the LOG.SMB file always contains literally
>>hundreds of "Warning : You appear to have a tradoor gid system"
>>messages. This must be related to something in the UAF setup but i can't
>>see the problem.
>>
>>Anyone seen this one ?
>
> I believe the "trapdoor gid system" warning is spurious on VMS systems -
> doesn't apply to VMS.

Correct.

> On Unix it *is* a serious problem.
>
> This is probably mentioned in the Samba-VMS FAQ, but I haven't time to dig
> that out right now.

Also correct.  Samba 2.0.6 for OpenVMS does not produce this error.

Samba 2.0.6. changed the test in a way that it was fatal until I set up
the FRONTPORT library uid routines to give the behavior SAMBA expects.

So this warning should not be showing up on SAMBA 2.0.6.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network