Where is the SAMBA-VMS FAQ? - was Re: Problem connecting PC to SAMBA 2.0.3

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Apr 26 01:58:09 GMT 2002

"Crowley, George M." <gmcrowley at tva.government> wrote:

> Found the problem in the [PUBLIC] section: set the guest account parameter
> and it worked.
>
> Question: where is the SAMBA-VMS FAQ?

The first version of the SAMBA-VMS FAQ can be found on the OpenVMS
Freeware V 5.0 CD-ROM set in the SAMBA directory.  A copy can be found
at a link from http://www.openvms.compaq.com/

A second version of the SAMBA-VMS FAQ was posted on comp.os.vms and in
the samba topic in the VMS conference on Encompasserve.org.

I attempted to post it to this list, but for some reason it appears that
the posting failed.

A search with http://www.google.com should turn up at least one link to it.

> I then attempted to install on another machine, but am once again thwarted.
>
> It is complaining about a bad name/password pair.  The SMBUSER is uic
> [201,15] and there is no password on that account.  (NETMBX,TMPMBX only)
>
> Any ideas?  At this point I am inclined to wipe the directories out and
> begin anew.

I suspect that version of SAMBA-VMS can not deal with someone connecting
  from a non-guest account with that does not have a password.

I do not know if any version of SAMBA can on any platform for that matter.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network