Problems with share accesses.

Mike Liebbe Mike.Liebbe at trw.com
Thu Apr 25 22:18:37 GMT 2002

Samba v2.0.6 is installed, but obviously not configured properly on
an old DEC Alpha Model 3100 running VMS 7.3 and TCPIP 5.0
The node name is WOODSTOCK.  It is being used as a development/
evaluation box for SAMBA at this time.  [eventually SAMBA would
replace our Pathworks servers.]

The system shows up in NT's server manager as being active [the icon
is lit] but any action from the File menu results in "network path not
found"

I used smbclient.exe_axp to get the node to join the domain and it
reported,
as well as appears, to have been successful.

The only error testparm reports is the the locks directory should have

create mode 0755 to allow browsing.  From the smb.conf, I included
force create mode 0755 for the locks directory but still have had no
success browsing.  I have also, from VMS-side, opened up directory
and file permissions to s:rwed, o:rwed, g:rwed and w:rwed in an
attempt
to get the directory into condition.

I guess I'm at the point of "where did I go wrong?"  Towards that end,
following is my [current] smb.conf file:

; Configuration file for smbd.
;============================================================================
;
[global]
server string = Samba %v running on %h (OpenVMS)
workgroup = VSSI
netbios name = woodstock
netbios aliases = vms
remote announce = 140.171.106.1 140.171.112.10
remote browse sync = 140.171.106.255
wins server = 140.171.106.1
name resolve order = wins lmhosts
;  changed to server security 4/17/2002 - Mike Liebbe
;  changed to domain security 4/18/2002 - Mike Liebbe
security = domain
password server = *
encrypt passwords = Yes
smbpasswd file=sys$sysdevice/samba_root/var/locks/passwd.dat
map system = Yes

; printing parameters section
hide dot files = No
printing = bsd
printcap name = /sys$sysroot/tcpip$lpd/tcpip$printcap.dat
print command = print %s /queue=%p /delete/name=SAMBA_PRINT
lppause command = samba_lppause %p %j
lpresume command = samba_lpresume %p %j
lpq command = samba_lpstat %p   l
prm command = samba_lprm %p %j;
lpq cache time = 0

load printers = yes
;   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
socket options = SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE;
keepalive = 30
guest account = samba__guest

lock directory = sys$sysdevice/samba_root/var/locks
force create mode = 0755
share modes = yes

; ole locking compatibility must be off, or VMS will create a giant
empty files!
ole locking compatibility = no

[homes]
comment = Home Directories