Authenication Problems

THOMAS, JEFFREY W. jeff.thomas at peninsula.org
Wed Apr 24 19:57:05 GMT 2002

I'm new to Samba, and have successfully have 2.2.3a running on a couple of
Unix boxes using DOMAIN security, but I'm having trouble finding information
on how to do this on VMS.  I have installed 2.0.3 on my DEC4100 here, but I
am having authorization problems to a share on this box.  Is true to say
that DOMAIN security wasn't supported until 2.2?  I've also tried SHARE and
USER with no success.

Here is my configuration file:

[global]
        workgroup = NTGROUP
        netbios name = DOLLAR
        security = SHARE
;       encrypt passwords = Yes
;       password server = WINS1 WINS2
;       wins server = 1.2.3.4

[download]
        comment = Reports
        path = /dra1/altdata/spool
;       valid users = jeff
        create mask = 0740
        directory mask = 0750

I can run SMBCLIENT to access one of our NT server's shares, although I do
have to specify a password.  The server running Samba doesn't show up in My
Network Places either.   If I enter \\dollar\download <\\dollar\download>  I
get an "Enter Network Password" box, prompting for "Connect As:" and a
password.  I tried entering my VMS username and password, but I get
"Incorrect password or unknown username".

What values are available for "SECURITY =" in this version?
What database is used to authenticate users against?  SYSUAF.DAT?
Can I get this version to authenticate against a NT domain?

Any Ideas?
Thanks
Jeff