Samba VAX VMS version 2.0.6

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sat Apr 13 02:27:00 GMT 2002

"Elisabeth Kerbaule"
   <elisabeth.kerbaul at brittany-ferries.france> wrote:

Please use PLAIN TEXT mode only when sending to mailing lists and
newsgroups.  Please only send MIME when you know that the recipiant
can and wants to receive it.

HTML postings clog up the digest mode, and can cause corporate spam
filters to delete the e-mail or digest with out notifying either the
sender or the intended recipiants.

Please see the SAMBA for OpenVMS FAQ in the SAMBA 2.0.6 for OpenVMS
distribution.

 > I have some problem  with implementation of samba on VAX VMS .
 >
 > VMS version  7.1  with path decc  VAXACRT10_071
 >
 > Samba  version 2.0.6.
 >
 > I am able to connect drive from a NT Client , but  when access to
 > share process SMB_clientxxxx  takes about 90 % Cpu on the Vax.
 >
 > Try to solve this problem , I have recompiled samba without the
 > option HAVE_FTRUNCATE  , but this did not solve the problem.

The compilation option HAVE_TRUNCATE will only affect a problem seen on
2.0.3 on ALPHA.

The FRONTPORT library has been coded to work around that error.

This seems like a new issue.

What type of VAX?  Is there any tuning issues?  Most tuning or memory
limitation problems will show up as CPU hangs or excessive CPU use.

The common myth that making small WSEXTENTS to keep processes from using
too much virtual memory usually hurts performance more than it helps.

Some of SAMBA's algorithms that are used in enumerating shares are very
CPU bound, and can overwhelm a smaller VAX.

Turning off OPLOCKS may help.

Accessing a directory with a lot of files from a windows explorer is a
real torture.  SAMBA issues a stat() command repeatedly on each file,
and the whole path of converting a file from VMS to UNIX to MS-DOS code
page is taken each time.  If the explorer shell thinks that there might
be an icon in the file, it will open the file to look for it.

With the Oplocks on, there is an extra file access, and VMS to UNIX file
conversion.

When accessing the file from a DOS prompt, then things are much simpler.

In the newer versions of UNIX SAMBA, allegedly some work has been done
to fix these things.  However they have added more dependencies on the
fork() calls that need to be dealt with.

They are moving the access of the files into a Virtual File System (VFS)
module.  This may allow better optimizations for OpenVMS, but I have not
had time to look at it in detail.

For troubleshooting:

If you can set the SMB_clientxxxx process priority to zero, then it is
possible to find out what routines led up to this event.

Also setting a higher debug level may also show what is causing this
problem.

<HTML><HEAD>
[deleted]

-John