How to Install SAMBA Server on VAX

Naveed Ahmed Greatman at Softhome.net
Fri Apr 5 10:49:31 GMT 2002

I have configured my Windows Network like this
Only TCP/IP is installed for my network card NC, and Dial up adapter.
For NC Static IP is for Win98 135.1.1.4 Subnet 255.255.255.192
Gateway: 135.1.1.1
Client for Microsoft Network is used, Network Logon option is set to Quick
Logon. In Identification Computer Name is Naveed3, Workgroup Name is Piorot.
Ip address of VAX is 135.1.1.3, name is Naveed1.
Workgroup name is Poirot in smb.conf file.
In Win98 Wins Resolution is Enabled for TCP/IP and 135.1.1.3 is added in
Search Order.
Now for UCX Configuration at VAX
I have not set Bind resolver.
Domain Name is Poirot
Host name Naveed1
In interface Internet address is 135.1.1.3
Network mask is 255.255.255.192
Broadcast Mask is 135.1.1.63
No dynamic routing, default gateway is set to 135.1.1.1

here is what I get when I type
show sys/proc=nmbd
  Pid    Process Name    State  Pri      I/O       CPU       Page flts
Pages
0000010D NMBD            LEF      5     1168   0 00:00:03.43      1503
2037

Any idea why VAX is not shown in Networking Neighbourhood?

Thanks

Naveed

following is my smb.conf file

[global]
   workgroup = Poirot
   dead time = 10
   map archive = no
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /sys$manager/ucx$printcap.dat
   load printers = yes
   status = yes
   print command = print %f/queue=%p/delete/passall/name="""""%s"""""
   lprm command = delete/entry=%j
   security = user
   default service = default
   create mode = 0777

   guest account = PCFS$ACCOUNT
;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
   log file = /samba_log/log.%m
;   read raw = no
   read prediction = yes
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
;   socket options = SO_REUSEADDR

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
;  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
  share modes = no

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750

[Naveed]
   path = /dka0/Naveed
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /dsa1/pcfs_spool/default
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
;   public = no
   public = yes
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700

From: "john marchant" <jmarchant at cobbcounty.org>

From: "Naveed Ahmed" Greatman at Softhome.net
>> Workgroup name are same, can't get VAX is not shown in Networking
Neighbourhood...............