Can't browse shares

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Apr 5 03:21:57 GMT 2002

"john marchant" <jmarchant at cobbcounty.organization> wrote:

> I saw in some lists where removing all but tcp/ip from the Windows machine
> helped.  What happens when you use "net view \\servername?"  I also saw
> where the server name was the problem where a "." was at the first of the
> computers name.

That can help in a browser election issue.  Each protocol maintains
their own set of browse masters.  This is one of the indications of a
network or browser configuration problem.

> Mostly, I would have the username accessing the box and the guest account in
> smbpasswd.
>
> What do the logs say?

Always a good place to look.

> ---
> Someone wrote:
| Dear list
|
| Samba 2.0.6 installed on OpenVMS 7.2 with TCPIP from the DECUS user
license.

| Samba is installed and the VAX can be seen in MS network
neighbourhood, but
| I can't see any shares that are set up in the conf.  Guest account exists
| and is disabled.  Any thoughts?

I do not think that the guest account needs to be enabled, but it does
need to have write access to it's login directory.  I think that all
SAMBA users including the guest account need write access to the
SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR] directory.

The tests in DIAGNOSIS.TXT can help isolate where the problem is.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.net