How to Install SAMBA Server on VAX

john marchant jmarchant at cobbcounty.org
Tue Apr 2 14:58:14 GMT 2002

I do not believe you can join a domain with the VMS version of Samba like in
Unix. If you have NT, you have to make sure you add the machine to the
domain and VMS does the rest.  It does not appear, this is an NT domain,
however.

How is your smb.conf configured?  Maybe you should post your smb.conf file.
Make sure to take out any passwords, or anything that could hurt you later.
Try changing your workgroup name on the VAX in smb.conf to the same as the
Windows 98 machine to see if that fixes it.  Adjust any remote announcing
that needs to be adjusted also.

I am thankful to everyone who replied, I have successfully unzipped and
installed it. Now I have more questions. I am running Windows 98, and using
Reflection for ReGIS Graphics to access VAX via TelNet. IP address of PC is
135.1.1.4 name NA1, and VAX is 135.1.1.2 name NA2. I can't see VAX in
networking neighborhood, Is it because Workgroup names are different? In
that case how can I change workgroup name at VAX? Also does after
Installing, and placing @SYS$STARTUP:SAMBA_STARTUP in startup file ensures
that SAMBA is running correctly, because when I run SAMBA_STARTUP it gives
message
%RUN-S-PROC_ID, identification of created process is 00000110
How can I access it from PC?

Thanks

Naveed