How to Install SAMBA Server on VAX

john marchant jmarchant at cobbcounty.org
Mon Apr 1 14:48:36 GMT 2002

>Hi,

>I am very new to VAX therefore I have following questions, which may be
>silly to you guys.

I am not the authority by any means.  I just try to occasionally answer
questions, when I think I might know the answers.

>First of all I want to map my VAXstation 4000 drive which is running
OpenVMS
>VAX 6.2, to Windows 98/2000. I downloaded SAMBA 2.0.3 Binary Package for
VAX
>along with C RTL from US FTP, also UNZIPVAX.exe file.

Is 2.0.6 available for your platform?  It might be better, since you can use
smbpasswd with it.

>Now I couldn't unzip SAMBA on VAX because when I give command
>$run unzipvax samba.zip
>it gave this message
>%DCL-W-MAXPARM, too many parameters - reenter command with fewer parameters
>\SAMBA\
>so instead I unzipped all files on Win98 using WinZip and uploaded it on
VAX
>via FTP to SAMBA folder in root directory. also I unzipped C RTL file and
>uploaded decc_crtl.exe_vax file to SAMBA folder.

I believe you have to set up a symbol first like:

$unzip   == "$$1$DUA300:[some_directory_name]unzip.AXP_exe"

Then you can run "unzip file_name"

>I only have license of Fortran at VAX and can't compile C programs.

>Now when I run @link I get message
>%RMS-W-RTB, 512 byte record too large for user's buffer

I don't know anything about Fortran, so others will have to help you, but I
believe the 512 error is because of how you copied it. I have to copy files
to a unix box and then ftp with "I" (binary) from the unix box to the VMS
system (before I got SaMBa running).  Also, unzipping on the Windows system
may cause the CR-LF conversion to be wrong.  You will have to check it.

Others, hopefully, can help with the Fortran and linking issues.