Displayed size of SAMBA-File-Share not correct

Boyce, Nick nick.boyce at eds.com
Mon Oct 29 11:38:58 GMT 2001

On 29.Oct.2001 M. Himmelsbach asked :

> I've recently installed an disk of 35GB size. The whole disk is used for
> SAMBA file-shares. But with the explorer-function "properties" there is
> only 3.96GB disk space displayed! Why this?

I'm not certain about the details of this without checking archives, but I
believe that *some* popular SMB clients (i.e. some versions of Windows)
can't obtain the free space value from the relevant fileserver correctly due
to not having a big enough field available in the relevant SMB protocol
frame.  This would depend on the SMB protocol dialect negotiated at share
connect time - CORE, COREPLUS, LANMAN1, LANMAN2 or NT1 - and the set of
available dialects varies according to version of Windows client.  IIRC, the
free space field can only hold a value equivalent to 4Gb in some of these
dialects.

[ actually I'm hazy about the limiting value here - I remember NFS mount
points only reporting 2Gb free space max, irrespective of the real figure -
and I believe SMB has a similar limitation ]

None of my shared drives has even as much free space as *2* Gb at present,
so I can't tell you what my Sambas report :-(

Tell us what type of client you're using ?

Nick Boyce
EDS, Southwest Solution Centre, Bristol, UK