NMBD 2.0.6 /VMS 6.2 / TCPIP? access violation

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Thu Oct 25 19:59:10 GMT 2001

> 	http://lists.samba.org/listinfo/samba-vms

 "Lohmueller Ralph (QI/LBS2-RT) *" <Ralph.Lohmueller at de.bosch.company>
 wrote:

 OpenVMS VAX 6.2
 TCPIP stack: Unknown

One of my goals was to for the FRONTPORT library and SAMBA 2.0.6 to work
with as far back as OpenVMS VAX 5.5-2.

Since the release of the kit, it has been discovered that either SAMBA,
FRONTPORT, or both are dependent on C RTL routines that are not present on
OpenVMS until 7.0.

It might be possible to get around that by using the BACKPORT library
that is supplied with the Compaq C compiler.  (Formerly known as DEC C).

That would require some changes to the linker command files and .MMS
scripts.

I am not sure how you got a LINK with out any undefined symbol warnings,
but apparently you have.  Good.

> But i have another problem:
>
> when nmbd starts it crashs immediately with error:
>
> traceback:
> access violation
> nmbd		routine main		line 34646
>
> Any ideas????

Are you sure that you did not get any undefined symbol warnings from
your last link of FRONTPORT or SAMBA?

What TCP/IP program are you running?

Are you current on your CRTL and TCPIP ECOs?

Is anything in the samba_root:[var]*nmbd*.log* ?

Does TESTPARM report anything wrong other than the stuff about the
permissions being wrong for browsing?  (Ignore the browsing permissions
issue)

One previous bug was found in the NMBD code where they were not checking
the result of a TCP/IP function, where the result was -1 on error.  They
were using the result to do a memmove().  The specific case that I tripped
over has been fixed, but there may be others.

That NMBD bug showed up with a UCX 4.x TCP/IP stack because the function
called was not supported by it.  An upgrade or an ECO may make the bug
less apparent.

Because of disk space limitations, I was not able to preserve listing
files or link maps for SAMBA 2.0.6.

The best way to find exactly the cause is to Compile and link nmbd in
debug.

After unpacking the source as described in the building documentation,
if you do:

$CC :== CC/DEBUG
$LINK :== LINK/DEBUG

Then running the SAMBA.MMS script will allow you to run

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network