Slowness in Samba-vms

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Mon Oct 15 21:22:22 GMT 2001

> 	http://lists.samba.org/listinfo/samba-vms

Information on the archives for this list are also there.

 "Mikko Elonen" <mikko.elonen at deltamarin.company> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:30:01 +0300
>
> We have Alpha Open VMS 7.1-2 and ucx version 4.2 ECO 3.
> I have installed SAMBA 2.0.6 and I have problem with the slowness
> of Samba server.
>
> For example listing of directory with about 500 files takes 3 minutes with
> NT-explorer.

Specifically what client are you using?
Are you seeing the same behavior from smbclient or from a DOS command?

I do not have all the specifics in front of me, but most of the stuff
should be in the FAQ that was in the SAMBA 2.0.6 kit.

One thing that may have been missing is:

UCX SET PROTOCOL TCP /NODELAY_ACK

and also there has been some issues with set the SMB.CONF option for
"case sensitive".  Try both values and see if there is any difference.

Turning off oplocks will probably help a bit on performance.

It also can depend on the file extension of the files that you are
trying to serve.

If the NT-explorer thinks that the file type is one that has an ICON
imbedded in it, it will open each and every one of the files and check
to see if it actually contains a bitmap.  With oplocks enabled, it will
take out locks on these files.

And each step in producing the display seems to call stat() several times.
This causes more performance problems in OpenVMS than UNIX, and messages
posted on the SAMBA-TECHNICAL archive indicates that some improvements
have been done in the 2.2.0 stream, as it has shown to limit how fast
UNIX can serve files.

The locking implemented in SAMBA for OpenVMS is the LOCKING-SLOW method.
It should be converted to use the OpenVMS SYS$ENQ and SYS$DEQ functions.

And of course there is the protocol incompatability of Windows 2000 with
any version of SAMBA earlier than 2.0.7.  Windows ME may require SAMBA
2.2.x + patches.

Any or all of these things together may be causing your slow performance.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network