Running Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Nov 30 04:49:27 GMT 2001

"Fachetti, Robert" <fachetti at pweh.company> wrote:
 >  VMS Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:24:48 -0500
 >

 > I am new to running Samba, but not to VMS. I have recently installed
 > Samba 2.0.6 on my system (OpenVMS 7.1/UCX V4.2 - ECO 3) which
 > appears to be working properly only if I set "security = SHARE". If
 > I set "security = USER" and "encrypt passwords = yes"  then
 > attempt to connect to a service from my PC client (NT 4.0 networked
 > with all the approriate bells and whistles) I get the following
 > error:
 >
 > C:\>net use l: \\cpu93944\homes The password is invalid for
 > \\cpu93944\homes.

Did you set your LANMAN and NT password using the SMBPASSWD utility
after adding your NT username to it's database?

When you are using encrypted passwords, the password hash presented by a
client must match the one in SAMBA's local database.

Unfortunately, due to a bug that was missed in testing, the SMBPASSWD
program appears to only work from the SYSTEM account.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network