Running Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Fri Nov 30 04:02:22 GMT 2001

It was probably a mistake, but please note:

 > When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
 > than  "Re: Contents of samba-vms digest..."

Also please do not *EVER* quote the entire digest.  It is taking me
forever to determine what if any is new content.

Edit out as much of the previous posts as you can but still maintain the
context.

Also, please turn off the VCF card feature of your mailers, unless you
are sending mail to a recipiant that requires it.  For every one else it
is just useless junk appended to the message.

And it shows up in a variety of unreadable formats by many mail gateways.

Thankyou.

 > Today's Topics:
 >
 > 1. Running Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS (J Beets) (john marchant)
 > 2. Running Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS (J Beets)
 > 3. Running Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS (J Beets)

Samba 2.0.6 for OpenVMS is feature and bug compatable with the UNIX
2.0.6 release.

It is a complex product, and many of the code paths have not been tested.

This includes having it join a domain, or using pass-through authentication.

J. Beets wrote:

 > VMS and our PCs are not part of a domain - just use Workgroup.
 > Deleting MACHINE.SID and let smb recreate it worked. It's working
 > now.  Just wish FAQ covered these points I looked and could find
 > this in the VMS FAQ or Vms samba archives.

At the time the SAMBA FAQ was written, SAMBA 2.0.6 was just released, or
  just about to be released, and no one had ever upgraded from SAMBA 2.0.3.

I had never run 2.0.3, so I had no idea about the SID problem, except a
guess from the error message.

However, this question did come up less than about a month ago, and the
answer should be in the archives of either October or November of 2001.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network