Running Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS

Fachetti, Robert fachetti at pweh.com
Thu Nov 29 16:10:42 GMT 2001

VMS Users,

I am also having other problems: If I set "security = SHARE", then I can
connect to a service from my PC. But, when I edit a file (for example
NAME.TYPE;1) on my VMS share using a PC editor (I have tried this using both
Notepad, and the editor in our Ada IDE with the same results) I get the
following behavior:

Doing a "File->Save" results in:
1. The original file gets overwritten (it does not create a new version of
the file e.g. NAME.TYPE;2)
2. The contents of the file are corrupted:

Original Contents:

function GET_THE_KEYSTROKE return integer

pragma EXPORT_FUNCTION (INTERNAL => GET_THE_KEYSTROKE,
                        EXTERNAL => "get$keystroke")

with UIM_TOOLS

function GET_THE_KEYSTROKE return integer is
begin

  return integer(UIM_TOOLS.GET_KEYSTROKE)

end GET_THE_KEYSTROKE

Saved Contents:

function GET_THE_KEYSTROKE return integer;<CR><CR>p
EXTERNAL => "get$keystroke");<CR>
<CR>w<CR>
h UIM_TOOLS;<CR>
function GET_THE_KEYSTROKE return intbegin<CR>
<CR>
<CR>
TOOLS<CR>
  <CR>
turn integer(UIM_TOOLS.GET_KEYSTROKE);<CR>
end <CR>
T_THE_KEYSTROKE;<CR>
teger(UIM_TOOLS.GET_KEYSTROKE)<CR>
<CR>
end GET_THE_KEYSTROKE<CR>
<CR>

But, doing a "File->Save As" and giving it a new name seems to work just
fine, except for the unwanted <CR>'s, but I can deal with that. Can anyone
explain why it behaves this way, and what remedies I might have available to
fix this problem. Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Again, thanks in advance,