Running Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS

J Beets jbeets at cnd.co.nz
Tue Nov 27 10:57:41 GMT 2001

Hello John/ other VMS Samba users,

Thanks for your help. I had upgraded to Samba 2.0.6 from 2.0.3 hoping it
would help but you're right - all the versions of Samba are affected including
2.0.6

Adding /FLAGS=LISTEN stopped smbd crashing on start up.

I now have one remaining error in the smb.log file - can you help?

(I have no printers on the VMS server)

[2001/11/27 09:11:24, 1]
CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.SMBD]SERVER.C;2:(643)
  smbd version 2.0.6 started.
  Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998
[2001/11/27 09:11:25, 0]
CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.PARAM]LOADPARM.C;2:(1797)
  No path in service printers - using /tmp
[2001/11/27 09:11:26, 0]
CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.LIB]UTIL_SID.C;1:(262)
  string_to_sid: Sid  does not start with 'S-'.
[2001/11/27 09:11:26, 0]
CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.PASSDB]PASSDB.C;1:(812)
  unable to generate machine SID.
[2001/11/27 09:11:26, 0]
CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA_VMS.SOURCE.PASSDB]PASSDB.C;1:(872)
  unable to read file SAMBA_ROOT/VAR/PRIVATE/MACHINE.SID. Error was
can't assign  requested address
[2001/11/27 09:11:26, 0]
CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.SMBD]SERVER.C;2:(677)
  ERROR: Samba cannot create a SAM SID.

Is this a privilege problem? Samba was installed under the System username.
The smb.conf file is currently the default with only the workgroup name
changed and [tmp] enabled

Thanks for your help, smb.conf file follows ...

Regards,

Joop Beets

$ type smb.conf
[global]
   server string = Samba %v running on %h (OpenVMS)
   workgroup = Workgroup
   encrypt passwords = Yes
;   mangled names = No
;   encrypt passwords = No
   hide dot files = No
   map system = Yes
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /sys$sysroot/tcpip$lpd/tcpip$printcap.dat
   print command = print %s /queue=%p /delete/name=SAMBA_PRINT
   lppause command = samba_lppause %p %j
   lpresume command = samba_lpresume %p %j
   lpq command = samba_lpstat %p
   lprm command = samba_lprm %p %j
;   lpq cache time = 0 ;future when next OpenVMS release uses
SYS$GETQUI()
;   smbrun = project_root:[samba_vms.bin]smbrun.exe_axp
   load printers = yes
;   socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
   socket options = SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE
;   keepalive = 30
;   guest account = pcguest
;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
;   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
;   log_file = /samba_root/var/%m.log
;    log file = sys$output/

;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
;  lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
  share modes = yes
  security = user
;
; new stuff
;  debug pid = Yes
;  debug uid = Yes
  level2 oplocks = True
; magic script = SAMBA_MAGIC.COM ;experimental, will this work on
OpenVMS?
; magic output = SAMBA_MAGIC.LOG
; new stuff
;  max xmit = 8192

  blocking locks = True
  message command = samba_message %f %t %s
; ole locking compatibility must be off, or VMS will create a giant empty files!
  ole locking compatibility = no

; unix password sync = no ! VMS password chat.
;  password chat = "*Enter OLD password*" %o\n \
;     "*Enter NEW password*" %n\n \
;     "*Reenter NEW password*" %\n\n \
;     "*Password changed*"
;
;  passwd program = SET PASSWORD
;  passwd chat debug = True  ; Debug only
;
; nmbd
; local master = yes ;default
; preferred master = no; default

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0750
   fstype = ODS2

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = no
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
;   printing=OpenVMS

; you might also want this one, notice that it is read only so as not to give
; people without an account write access.
;
 [tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read only = yes
   public = yes

> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 18:53:58 -0600
> From: "John E. Malmberg" <wb8tyw at qsl.network>
> To: samba-vms at samba.org
> Subject: Re: Running Samba 2.0.3 on Alpha VMS
>
> J Beets <jbeets at cnd.co.newzealand> wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:23:53
> >
> > Hello Alpha VMS Samba users,
> >
> > I'm running Samba V2.0.3 Binaries on Alpha VMS 7.2-1 with UCX (TCPIP)
> Ver
> > 5.1 ECO-2.
> >
> > The binaries all Linked okay and installed without problems and the
NMBD