Samba 2.0.3 handling of files with no ".extension"

Roy Omond Roy.Omond at BlueBubble.UK.Com
Wed Nov 21 14:45:59 GMT 2001

Gentle colleagues,

2 x DS10s clustered, VMS 7.1-2, TCP/IP v5.0A

I am attempting to get Samba 2.0.3 running such that files
on the VMS side with no ".extension" e.g. ABCD
are visible on the Weendoze side.  This works without
problems using Samba 1.9.17p4 on a small VAXcluster.

I'd really like to get 2.0.3 to work, since it has other
features that I need.

Weird thing is, in a DOS window I can successfully
create a file with no extension (COPY X.X ABCD)
and the file appears correctly on the VMS side, but
the new file is invisible on the Weendoze side.

I'd be really appreciative of any help in getting this
working since I have an archive of way over 5,000,000
files on the VMS side, almost all of which have no
.extensions in their names.

I'm presently at a site where there's no C compiler
otherwise I'd not be averse to getting in there and
changing the source.

Eckart, ich waere sehr dankbar fuer Deine Hilfe !

Thanks in advance,

Roy Omond
Blue Bubble Ltd.