OpenVMS 6.2 and Samba 2.0.3

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Fri Nov 16 21:55:10 GMT 2001

Luiz Emediato / Dr. Guilherme Regis wrote:

> I am trying to make Samba 2.0.3 run on my
> VAXstation 4000/60 OpenVMS 6.2, Multinet 3.3(92),
> DEC-C 4.0, UCX 1.3, unsuccessfully.
> Does anyone have it running on a similar computer ?
> Are my system program versions OK with Samba 2.0.3 ?

You are either using Multinet or UCX, but not both.

I do not have any personal experience with running 2.0.3,  but others
on this list have admitted to getting it to work.

> Why can't I set up smbpasswords ? It keeps saying
>  "can not open file SMBPASSWD.DAT"
> I changed the protection to REWD,REWD,REWD,REWD but after running
> smbpasswd.exe protection is changed back to RWD,RWD,,,

You need to be at SAMBA 2.0.6 for OpenVMS for that to work.  On prior
versions it is ignored.

Unfortunately due to a lack of testing on my part, SAMBA 2.0.6 as supplied
on the OpenVMS Freeware CD-ROM requires a minimum of OpenVMS 7.0.
And I only tested the VAX version on OpenVMS 7.1.

All SAMBA for OpenVMS versions prior to SAMBA 2.0.6 require the clients
to use plain text passwords.

> I can not see my VAX on the net via Win98, why ?

Have you enabled plain text passwords on the Win98 system?

While the SAMBA 2.0.6 for OpenVMS will not run on your older OpenVMS
release, there is a FAQ for SAMBA on OpenVMS supplied with the kit and
has information for the lower SAMBA versions also.

If you do not have the Freeware 5.0 CD-ROMs, they are on line at
http://www.openvms.compaq.com/ under the freeware link.

> I tried smbclient and got the error:
>
> BSUHEP::SYSTEM> smbclient "-L" bsuhep
> Added interface ip=147.226.50.26 bcast=147.226.255.255 nmask=255.255.0.0
> Password: Invalid packet length! (130899 bytes).

I am not quite sure what that one means, sorry.

You could try a higher debug level to see if it gives more detailed
messages.

> Testparm says:
>
> BSUHEP::SYSTEM> testparm
> Load smb config files from /samba_root/lib/smb.conf
> Processing section "[homes]"
> Processing section "[printers]"
> Processing section "[public]"
> Loaded services file OK.
> WARNING: lock directory /samba_root/var/locks should have permissions 0755
> for browsing to work

The lock warning is wrong and can be ignored.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network