Problems with carriage return on VMS

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Thu Nov 8 23:34:59 GMT 2001

 "Kelly Oliveira" <kellyo at dtslatin.company> wrote:

> John,
>
> First, I=B4m using OpenVMS Alpha 7.1.2 ECO 4 and Samba 2.0.6.
>
> I've done the template suggested for SCB extension and it doesn't work
> fine.
> Even the template configured to Stream-CR the SCB files than I write
> on VMS have the Stream-LF format.

Do you have a dir/full on the template file?

> I`ve deleted the template and done the command line
> SET FILE/attr=(rfm:stmcr) and the SCB file accepted the format STMCR,
> but it was impossible to edit, lines and commands are missing from
> the original. Seems the file is corrupted.

It may be useful to FTP the file to the OpenVMS system in ASCII format.

Then do a dump command of the first few records.  Compare that with
a dump of the first few records of the one that was transfered by
SAMBA.

> It is a example the file in the STMCR format, the letter "e" represents the
> linefeed. Pay attention in the sections Environment Division, the command CONNECT...

Ok.  It appears that your file is STM format, not STMCR.  That could make
a difference.

STM accepts either a CRLF or a LF as a record terminator.  Also FF and VT
are record terminators.

Forcing a STM file to be STMCR with the SET FILE will cause extra
line-feeds to be seen.

Forcing a STM file to be STMLF will cause extra Carriage returns to be
seen.

Good Luck,
-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network