Problems to get samba version 2.30 running under vms5.5-2

Eckart Meyer Eckart.Meyer at gmx.de
Thu Dec 20 11:39:06 GMT 2001

> After having finally linked samba 2.03, next problems coming up are:
>
> - SAMBA_STARTUP.COM fails with an error message, that "UIC system is
> unknown"
>
> This problem I could remove by changing the line /uic=system to /uic=[1,4].
> Does VMS5.5-2 generally require to give the UIC in numbers?
>
> =======================================
> $ run/detached -
>         /input=samba_exe:nmbd_startup.com -
>         /output=samba_root:[var]nmbd_startup.log -
>         /uic=system -                        ------>  I had to change this
> to /uic=[1,4]
>         /process_name=NMBD -
>         sys$system:loginout.exe

VMS 5.5-2 DOES understand names and SYSTEM should always be [1,4]. Check that
with the AUTHORIZE utility.

> O.k., so far - NMBD was starting now and the samba server is visible with
> all its shares on the network.
> My still unsolved problem: I cannot get access to any share on the samba
> server. The Win client pretends, that the remote computer is unavailable.
> On the samba server, after each attempt of an acces of a share a
> sys$manager:smbd_startup.log file is created with the content
> ---------------------------
> Error opening primary input file SYS$INPUT
> Directory not found
> No such file

There is something wrong either with your system or with UCX. I can't tell
more here since I don't have a VMS system in the moment.

> The logical sys$input is:
>
> $ sh log sys$input
>    "SYS$INPUT" = "_HLPHYS$TNA2:" (LNM$PROCESS_TABLE)
> $

This is *your* SYS$INPUT, not the one for the SMBD process.

Eckart