creating new share

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Dec 20 05:44:16 GMT 2001

Isaac Baca <isaacjade at home.company>

> I am sorry for the ignorance but this is my first encounter with vms. I
> am normally just the Solaris HP-UX guy.

Welcome to OpenVMS.

> I need to create a new share on our alpha server. It is already running
> Samba and has several shares already out there. How do I configure a new
> share?

Probably the same way you do on Unix.

> If  I have to edit the samba.conf file where is it?

SAMBA_ROOT:[LIB]SMB.CONF

> Sorrry, but VMS is very confusing to me. I appreciate any help.

See http://www.openvms.compaq.com

There are links there to the OpenVMS FAQ, the Freeware CD-ROM,
and the documentation.

You can also use the HELP command.

There are three interactive editors supplied with OpenVMS, and many of
editors like vi and emacs are available off of the web.

Or you can take an easy way, ftp the file over to your UNIX system,
modify it and FTP it back.  Just make sure you transfer it as ASCII, not
binary.  It makes a big difference on OpenVMS.

Please, when posting questions, the version of SAMBA for OpenVMS, the
version of OpenVMS, which of the several TCP/IP programs and it's
version.  VAX or Alpha (and IPF when available) can also be important.

SAMBA 1.19.x may have a problem with using concealed logical names in
it's configuration file.

I do not know if SAMBA 2.0.3 also has that problem.

SAMBA 2.0.6 prefers that concealed logical names are used.  Concealed
logical names are a prefered method of referencing logical volumes on
OpenVMS.

On OpenVMS, file specifications are of the format:

DEVICE:[DIR.DIR]FILE.EXE;EXT

But programs like SAMBA that are written in C can usually accept, and
SAMBA basically requires this format:

/device/dir/dir/file.exe

Where device is either a physical device like DKA0:, or a logical device
like SAMBA_ROOT:.  Logical devices are preferred, because then you do
not have to edit your configuration files if you change what physical
disks that you have.

The [DIR.DIR] can have up to 8 directories separated by periods, for
versions of OpenVMS prior to 7.2.  After that, deeper directories are
allowed, see below, and the HELP SPECIFIY command.

The file.ext is the name of the file.

The version is a number from 1 to 32767.

OpenVMS is not case sensitive.

On VAX only the ODS-2 file system is available.
On ALPHA above version 7.2, the ODS-5 file system can also be configured.

ODS-2 is limited to 39 character directory or filenames, with a 39
character extension.  Total file specifications are limited to 255
characters.

Both file systems are not case sensitive.

ODS-5 is case preserving, and can handle most special characters, but
some of the special characters may cause SAMBA problems.

ODS-5 is a newer file system for OpenVMS, and there may be issues with
it and SAMBA.

The root directory for a physical or logical device is [000000].  For a
logical device it does not really exist.  If you are referencing file
foo.dat in the root directory then you use [000000]foo.dat.

But using the file specification [000000.bar]foo.dat would be the same
thing as specifying "./././bar/foo.dat" on UNIX.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network