Samba 2.0.6 smbpasswd difficulties

john marchant jmarchant at cobbcounty.org
Thu Dec 13 18:01:35 GMT 2001

Ok, now I have:

smbpasswd
Old SMB password:
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:

machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the session setup. Error was : ERRSRV - ERRbadpw
(Bad
 password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are
invalid.).
Failed to change password for my_username

I am adding this so I can get authenticated from Win 98 .  Clear text did
not do it.  Perhaps, I do not understand (understatement).
Other responses are below:
_________________

Versions of SAMBA you ended up running please?

>>Sorry, everything from 2.0.3 has been deleted.  Everything I am using is
2.0.6.

Samba for OpenVMS 2.0.3 and earlier require plain text passwords, and
any SMBPASSWD program supplied with it does nothing useful.

Also I would be very surprised if the SMBPASSWD program supplied with
2.0.3 could be used with 2.0.6.

SAMBA 2.0.6 does not require that the clients be set to plain text
passwords.  But the password must be set using the SMBPASSWD program.

The user must be added using the SMBPASSWD and an initial password.
There is a special flag to do so.

>>This where I am having problems.  I think if I can add a user via the
smbpasswd program all will be well.  What is the flag?

Unfortunately due to a lack of testing from a non-privileged account I
did not notice that the UNIX code was effectively enforcing that the
SMBPASSWD program must be run from the SYSTEM account.

>>It might help if you would display the symbol "smbpasswd" to show how it
is defined, and also show your exact dialog that you used.

This what I used from samba_commands

$command = "smbpasswd"
$program = "''command'.EXE_''sufix';0"
$'command' :== $'f$parse(program,procedure)'

Use of the "-s", "-U", "-r", "-R", "-j", and "-m" options are totally
untested.

>>It doesn't allow some of these options.

Use of "-U" implies that you are setting the password on a remote
system.  SAMBA 2.0.6 does not support being the target of such a
request, and I have no idea what happens if you try it with out also
using the "-r" command that is almost certainly required with it.
Of course see the previous paragraph

>>I used -U because I was wrong.  And, thanks for your patience.

---