I have a smbpasswd question

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Thu Dec 13 00:42:25 GMT 2001

"john marchant" <jmarchant at cobbcounty.organization> wrote
> Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:17:13 -0500
>
> Sorry about the other messages.  I sent them too quickly.  I appear to have
> nmbd running okay, but am having a problem with passwords.  I changed my Win
> 98 registry to enable clear text passwords, but samba still doesn't responsd
> with anything but that it (in the log files) can't authenticate me.  I
> decided to use smbpasswd.  When it prompts me for the old password, I just
> hit return.  Then I add the new one and retype it, but it never does
> anything.  It just sits there after I re-type the password again.  Am I
> doing something wrong?

Versions of SAMBA you ended up running please?

Samba for OpenVMS 2.0.3 and earlier require plain text passwords, and
any SMBPASSWD program supplied with it does nothing useful.

Also I would be very surprised if the SMBPASSWD program supplied with
2.0.3 could be used with 2.0.6.

SAMBA 2.0.6 does not require that the clients be set to plain text
passwords.  But the password must be set using the SMBPASSWD program.

The user must be added using the SMBPASSWD and an initial password.
There is a special flag to do so.

Unfortunately due to a lack of testing from a non-privileged account I
did not notice that the UNIX code was effectively enforcing that the
SMBPASSWD program must be run from the SYSTEM account.

It might help if you would display the symbol "smbpasswd" to show how it
is defined, and also show your exact dialog that you used.

Use of the "-s", "-U", "-r", "-R", "-j", and "-m" options are totally
untested.

Use of "-U" implies that you are setting the password on a remote
system.  SAMBA 2.0.6 does not support being the target of such a
request, and I have no idea what happens if you try it with out also
using the "-r" command that is almost certainly required with it.
Of course see the previous paragraph.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network