Miscellaneous SAMBA 2.0.6. issues

John Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Wed Dec 12 05:30:16 GMT 2001

> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. tcpip problem (john marchant)
>    2. bind failed on port 139 (john marchant)
>    3. setting up samba 2.0.6 no network name (john marchant)
>    4. nmbd fails (john marchant)
>
> --__--__--
>
> Message: 1
> Subject: tcpip problem
>
> I am sure I saw this before.  Please don't hit me too hard if this is a FAQ:
>
> $!
> $       if __isMultiNet
> $       then
> $               type sys$input
>
>         You must also restart the MultiNet master server
>         (@MULTINET:START_SERVER) to make the SMBD listener
>         start now.
>
> $               read/end=exit/error=exit/prompt= -
> "Restart MultiNet master server now? [N]" sys$output yn
> $               yn = f$edit(yn,"UPCASE,TRIM,COLLAPSE,UNCOMMENT")
> $               if yn .eqs. "Y" then @MULTINET:START_SERVER
> $       endif
>
> returns:
>
> Creating startup file SYS$COMMON:[SYS$STARTUP]SAMBA_STARTUP.COM...
> Setting up UCX SMBD service...
> %TCPIP-E-CONFIGERROR, error processing configuration request
> -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value
>
>         SAMBA for VMS has been installed succesfully.
>
>         The file SYS$STARTUP:SAMBA_STARTUP.COM has been provided to start
>         SAMBA for VMS.

This is a bit confusing.  You have quoted a section of the SAMBA command
file that is specific to MULTINET, yet the error messages are from
Compaq TCP/IP services.

These are two different products that can not exist on the same system.

It appears that something is wrong with the procedure
SYS$STARTUP:SAMBA_STARTUP.COM.

If I am not mistaken SAMBA 2.0.6 does not put any command procedures in
SYS$STARTUP:, nor does it generate any on the fly.  It is all self
contained in the SAMBA_ROOT:[*...] directory tree.

If the command files are moved to a diffent directory, they will not work.

Also, while the command files for SAMBA 2.0.6 are similar to older
versions, they can not be interchanged.

> Also, where is the FAQ about joining domains, etc. for OpenVMS.  Thanks.

There is no FAQ specifically for OpenVMS.  SAMBA 2.0.6 for OpenVMS is
bug and feature compatable with the UNIX version, but the domain code
has not been tested.

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 2
> Subject: bind failed on port 139
> Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 16:52:28 -0500
>
> What does this mean?
>
> [2001/12/10 15:39:23, 0]
> DSA1:[KITS.SAMBA-2_0_3.SOURCE.LIB]UTIL_SOCK.C;6:(674)
>   bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (address already in use  )
>
> I know that 0.0.0.0 is the default and according to the help files.  Thanks.

It means that for some reason that component of SAMBA could not open an
exclusive port on 139.

Are you perhaps trying to start up multiple copies of NMBD?

I note that this is an error message from SAMBA 2.0.3, not 2.0.6 as your
earlier message.

Again, I really do not know.

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 3
> Subject: setting up samba 2.0.6 no network name
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:40:50 -0500
>
> I have tried to setup samba 2.0.6:
>
> I had the old samba 2.0.3 and deleted and reinstalled the newer version.
> After this, I deleted my alpha machine from the domain on NT and a little
> while later added the machine back to the domain on NT.  I then ran
> samba_startup.com and nmbd started etc.  However when connecting from
> windows to the computer, I get this in the various log files:

You are of course aware that the MACHINE.SID from 2.0.3. must be
deleted, or the SMBD program will not start.

> [2001/12/11 12:24:20, 1] CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.SMBD]SERVER.C;2:(643)
>   smbd version 2.0.6 started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998
>
> In this file, smb.log it starts, but never does anything.  I don't know if
> this is because I did not alter the SAMBA_VMS_LOGICALS.COM;2 file or not.  I
> did nothing to this file, because I did not know what to do.
>
> In this file (nmb.log), I get:
>
> [2001/12/11 12:00:00, 1] CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.NMBD]NMBD.C;2:(747)
>   Netbios nameserver version 2.0.6 started.
>   Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1994-1998
> [2001/12/11 12:00:04, 0] CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.NMBD]NMBD.C;2:(772)
>   standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
> [2001/12/11 12:00:05, 0] CMS_ROOT:[SAMBA.SOURCE.LIB]UTIL_SOCK.C;2:(852)
>   bind failed on port 137 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (address already in use  )
>
> I did a netstat -a in tcpip and way *.137 once and the node_name.137.  A
> show services reveals no service here.  There is also no "listen" after
> this.

This is strange.

What versions of TCP/IP do you have?  Are you up to date with it's ECOs?

It sure looks like another NMBD type program is running.

And the NMBD program for 2.0.6 should not be made known to the TCPIP
program as a service.  Neither should any of the earlier versions of
NMBD for SAMBA on OpenVMS.

> Nmbd appears to have started with:
>
> $ arch = f$getsyi("ARCH_NAME")
> $ nmbd :== $samba_root:[bin.Alpha]nmbd
> $ opt = f$trnlnm("SAMBA_NMBD_OPTIONS")
> $ nmbd "-d1"
>  (but then again, I get the message above).
>
> I also added /flags=listen, but I thought this was only for UDP.

/flags=listen should only be used on SMBD.  Putting it on NMBD will
probably cause problems.

The /flags=listen is only needed on TCPIP 5.1, and it may only be needed
for some ECOs.  I do not know what will happen from putting it on TCPIP 5.0.

> There is also this:
>
> $ tcpip disable service smbd
> $ tcpip set service smbd -
>         /protocol=TCP -
>         /port=139 -
>         /user=SYSTEM -
>         /process=SMBD -
>         /flags=listen -
>         /file=SAMBA_ROOT:[BIN]SMBD_STARTUP.COM -
>         /log=(FILE:SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR]SMBD_STARTUP.LOG,ALL) -
>         /limit=100
> $ tcpip set config enable service smbd
> %TCPIP-E-CONFIGERROR, error processing configuration request
> -SYSTEM-F-BADPARAM, bad parameter value
> $ tcpip enable service smbd

Something is failing with this command.  Does the SAMBA_ROOT:
logical exist, and point to the correct directory?  Of course I would
expect that to generate a different error.

Is there another service bound to port 139?

Any chance that Pathworks or Advanced Server is installed?

> In any case, I get a network name not found when I try and get to shares
> from windows.  I also believe my smb.conf is fine.  This is why I have not
> included it.  Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

I doubt that the smb.conf is the problem.  Clearly the program is not
being registered with TCPIP for starting it.

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 4
> Subject: nmbd fails
> Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 13:30:15 -0500
>
> What would make nmbd just startup for a second and then die?  I thought it
> ran right once, but now I am not sure...
>
> $! Find out the Architecture
> $!---------------------------
> $arch = "AXP"
> $if f$getsyi("NODE_HWTYPE") .nes. "ALPH" then arch = "VAX"
> $!
> $procedure = f$environment("PROCEDURE")
> $procname = f$parse("nmbd.exe_AXP;0",procedure)
> $nmbd := $SAMBA_ROOT:[000000.BIN]NMBD.EXE_AXP;0
> $!
> $samba_nmbd_options = f$trnlnm("SAMBA_NMBD_OPTIONS")
> $nmbd "-D"

I do not know.  I am surprised that there is a redundant "[000000." in
the verify printout.  This could indicate that the SAMBA_ROOT definition
is wrong.

The "000000." should not be specified in any file specification having
to do with SAMBA 2.0.6.  It is a bit redundant.  Still, it should not be
causing a problem, but maybe one of the C file name translation routines
might be getting confused.

Is there anything in NMBD.OUT?