Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS - Passwords

John E. Malmberg malmberg at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 7 05:13:00 GMT 2001

                          *------*

>   -r MACHINE           remote machine
>   -R ORDER             name resolve order
>   -j DOMAIN            join domain name
>   -a                   add user
>   -d                   disable user
>   -e                   enable user
>   -n                   set no password
>   -m                   machine trust account
>
> So I tried to do a $ smbpasswd "-U" and this is what I got:
> $ smbpasswd "-U" myNetworkUsername
> New SMB password:
> Retype new SMB password:
>
> Failed to find entry for user myNetworkUsername.
> Failed to change password entry for myNetworkUsername

"-U" is attempting to set the password on a remote NT system.  I think
that you need a trust set up to do that.  I did not have enough
resources to test out that option.

If you do not use the "-U", it should just work to update the local
file.

"-U" basically requires "-r".  Since SAMBA 2.0.6 does not know how to
update it's own smbpasswd file through a network connection, that is why
it could not find an entry.

The code is all in place the same as the UNIX version, so if the UNIX
version of SAMBA 2.0.6 can do something, I would expect it to work the
same way on the OpenVMS version.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network