Samba 2.0.6 on Alpha VMS - Passwords

Fachetti, Robert fachetti at pweh.com
Thu Dec 6 19:36:51 GMT 2001

More dumb questions from a new Samba user:

I successfully (or so I thought) implemented the "security = USER" in the
SMB.CONF file:

I set up my share as follows:
[global]
  server string = Samba %v running on %L (OpenVMS)
  interfaces = 10.10.64.112
  workgroup = EHPLANT
  encrypt passwords = Yes
  hide dot files = No
  map system = yes
  ole locking compatibility = no
  share modes = yes
  security = USER
  blocking locks = True
  message command = samba_message %f %t %s
  socket options = SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192 SO_KEEPALIVE
  level2 oplocks = True
  read prediction = yes

[myNetworkUsername]
   comment = My Home Directory
   path = /disk$users/myNetworkUsername
   browseable = yes
   read only = no
   directory mode = 0777
   create mode = 0777
   writable = true

I logged on as user SYSTEM
I ran:
$ sbmpasswd -a myNetworkUsername
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
Added user myNetworkUsername.
Password changed for user myNetworkUsername.

That all seemed to work until today. Today my network (Windows NT master
domain) password was about to expire so I changed it. I then tried to
re-establish my connection to my Samba share. I was now prompted for a
password by the "Map Network Drive" function of my "Network Neighborhood"
icon. This sent up a red flag that I had to change my password on my Samba
server to match my new Network password.

I logged on as user SYSTEM, then did a:
$ sbmpasswd -h
smbpasswd [options] [username] [password]
  -s                   use stdin for password prompt
  -D LEVEL             debug level
  -U USER              remote username
  -r MACHINE           remote machine
  -R ORDER             name resolve order
  -j DOMAIN            join domain name
  -a                   add user
  -d                   disable user
  -e                   enable user
  -n                   set no password
  -m                   machine trust account

So I tried to do a $ smbpasswd "-U" and this is what I got:
$ smbpasswd "-U" myNetworkUsername
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:

Failed to find entry for user myNetworkUsername.
Failed to change password entry for myNetworkUsername

I know it's in there, I can go look at the file:
[SAMBA_ROOT.VAR.PRIVATE]PASSWD.FILE and see an entry for
'myNetworkUsername'. So I renamed the existing PASSWD.FILE then did a:

$smbpasswd -a myNetworkUsername
New SMB password:
Retype new SMB password:
startsmbfilepwent: unable to open file SAMBA_ROOT/VAR/PRIVATE/PASSWD.FILE
Added user myNetworkUsername.
Password changed for user myNetworkUsername.

It created a new instance of PASSWD.FILE, and now Samba seems to be working
again. Does this mean that I am going to have to delete and recreate the
PASSWD.FILE every time one of my users needs to change their network
password? There must be a better way to administer passwords? Does someone
have a better solution, or can they point me to a resource that will
enlighten me.

Thanks again,
Bob Fachetti
fachetti at pweh.com