International Samba (fwd)

TAKAHASHI Motonobu monyo at samba.gr.jp
Sat Aug 11 05:30:14 GMT 2001

Hello

Standing on the discussion, this is my proposal:

o How to display

- HTML files via SWAT in proper language
  What we need to do is adding Accept-Language feature into SWAT

  Samba Japanese Edition uses this system and works well.

- SWAT output message in proper language
  What we need to do is:
  1. adding Accept-Language feature into SWAT and
  2. adding a message catalogue feature such as GNU gettext().
    The language information from Accept-Language determine which
    language to display.

  My suggestion is that Samba has internal message catalogue system
  for this purpose because this system has essentially nothing to do
  with OS-local message catalogue system. Developing Samba Japanese
  Edition, first we try to use various OS-local message catalogue
  system, but it is hard to do and finally we decided to support only
  GNU gettext() archiving into Samba Japanese Edition.

  Samba Japanese Edition uses this system and works well.

- command output message in proper language
  What we need to do is using a message catalogue system such as GNU
    gettext().
    The language information from LANG/LC_ALL determine which language
    to display.

  We had better use OS-local message catalogue system for this.

- manual page in proper language
  nothing is needed. "man" command is already i18n'ed.

Of course if there is no document of the specific language version,
that of the default language version is displayed.

o How to store in CVS tree

  1) to divide the CVS tree per language
     we can give CVS commit right per language

  2) we only determine the final output format (may be
    html/man/txt/SWAT only?) and directory structure because there is
    no tools adapted for all languages.

o How to archive
  All language files into one archive is not practical because of its
  size and because we probably can not translate all documents when a
  version of Samba is released.

  My suggestion is divide the archive:
    samba-x.x.x.tar.gz (Samba base archive and message catalogue and
    English documents)
    samba-x.x.x.docs-ja.tar.gz (Japanese documents)
    samba-x.x.x.docs-pl.tar.gz (Polish documents)

  We can select which language to download.

  After we untar+gz'ed, the tree becomes

  samba-x.x.x

    +- docs -+-- en -- htmldocs
             |         manpages
             |         swat

             +-- ja -- htmldocs
             |         manpages
             |         swat

             +-- pl -- htmldocs
             |         manpages
             |         swat
             .

o How to install

  I think

  > we introduce
  > two configure-time parameters. For example:
  >
  >   "--docs-lang" for specifying what docs' languages do we
  >                 want to install
  >   "--default-docs-lang" for specyifying which language will
  >                 be default one

  is basically a good idea or make the following

  for lang in $langs
  if [ -d docs/lang ]; then
    install lang
  fi

  Samba Japanese Edition uses the latter in source/scrips/*.

-----
TAKAHASHI, Motonobu(monyo)         monyo at samba.org
Personal - http://home.monyo.com/
Samba Team - http://samba.org/     Samba-JP - http://www.samba.gr.jp/