NETWORK DRIVE ACCESS PROBLEM WITH SAMBA/ALPHA/OPEN VMS from a PC

John E. Malmberg malmberg at Encompasserve.org
Tue Aug 7 18:11:04 GMT 2001

 jpseck <jpseck at altavista.france> wrote:

> NETWORK DRIVE ACCESS PROBLEM WITH SAMBA/ALPHA/OPEN VMS From
> a PC with W2K or W98
>
> Conditions :
>
> The SAMBA SERVER :
> 	ALPHA / OpenVMS V6.2
> 	SAMBA-2_0_3-VMS0-BIN_ALPHA
> 	Digital TCP/IP Services for OpenVMS Alpha Version V4.2 - ECO 3
> 	on a AlphaServer 2100 4/200 running OpenVMS V6.2

<SNIP>

> I have created the following Alpha Open VMS username accounts
>
> dry4  : with 1 password and sys$sysdevice:[mgm4] for VMS directory
> 	and [mgm4] pointing on the directory sys$sysdevice:[mgm3] as
>       Samba user private resource in the smb.conf file

What do you mean by
  "[mgm4] pointing to the directory sys$sysdevice:[mgm3]"?

Does the SYS$SYSDEVICE:[MGM4] directory exist, and user dry4 have write
access to it?

> BUT  when i attempt to map any network drive letter to dry4 as :
>
> net use  P: \\SAMBASVR\dry4 + password >>>> It will give me the following message :
>
> From a DOS window :
>
> System error 67
> Network Name not found !
>
> From the windows Explorer Drive Network connecting option :

> the path to the network :   \\SAMBASVR\dry4  is not found !!!!

Have you tried connecting to the share locally using SMBCLIENT?

I think that SAMBA 2.0.3 follows the same code here as SAMBA 2.0.6.

On SAMBA 2.0.6 with the debug level set to somewhere between 4 and 8,
the section that covers the connection login reveals:

   1. The username and password is validated.
   2. The default directory is set to the one for the VMS account
      that corresponds to the UAF record.  If this directory does
      not exist, then SMBD server process exits.

I do not remember if it signals an error back to the client before
it exits, or if it just lets the client time out.

> My SMBD_STARTUP.LOG file is as follow :
>
> $!
> $ set noverify
> Client fd = 3

Client_fd = 3 indicates that the program successfully attached to
the auxilliary port.  Any positive number is good, but three is the one
most likely to show up.  A negative number means that there is a problem
with the setup of the TCPIP auxiliary server.

The SAMBA source code shows that shorly after that it closes off writes
to SYS$OUTPUT, SYS$INPUT, and SYS$ERROR.

The real diagnostic information is contained in SAMBA_ROOT:[VAR]*.LOG, but
may require that the debug level is set higher to get more meaningful
information.

> End of samba-vms Digest

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network